TILL MORITZ KARBACH
This prize for outstanding LHCb summer students is named in memory of our colleague Moritz Karbach, who lost his life in a climbing accident in April 2015. Moritz was an outstanding young physicist who made major contributions to our analysis activities and to detector operation, and who greatly enjoyed working with summer students. A brief summary of Moritz's career may be found in the obituary published in the CERN bulletin, and a record of his scientific legacy on LHCb in the memorial book prepared by his colleagues.
The prize is awarded annually, and takes into account the following criteria:
- Impact and usefulness of the conducted work;
- Progress and level of acquired knowledge;
- Personal motivation and working attitude;
- Clarity of presentation in the LHCb group meeting.
According to the quality of the work, several prizes may be awarded each year.
- Rahul Balasubramanian, IITM, Chennai ,
" New algorithm for Cholesky
- Manuel Jahn, Universität Heidelberg , " Studies for the Super VELO "
- Serena Maccolini, University of Bologna , " Charm mixing with D0 --> K pi pi 0 "
- Simone Meloni, Milano Bicocca University , " Upgrade bandwidth studies "
- Michele Piero Blago, Universität Heidelberg,
"Simulation and reconstruction of the RICH upgrade
- Vitalii Lisovskyi, Kharkiv National University, "Search for B+ --> \mu+ \nu_mu"
- Cristina Quast, Technische Universität Berlin, "A wireshark-based verification tool for the new LHCb common detector read-out board"